Ministry at University:
April 7, 2016 marked CPP's first faculty roundtable discussion at the CPP on-campus restaurant & banquet hall, Kellogg West.
All full-time CPP faculty, and many other CPP Lecturers and Stakeholders were invited to participate, and attendees included folks from many academic disciplines and from many theological and scientific viewpoints.
Our speaker was Dr. William Newsome, a Professor of Neuroscience at Stanford University, who provided a short lecture on the topic of the evening, “Of Two Minds: A Neuroscientist Asks if Science and Faith Are Compatible”.
The primary goal of this event was to open dialogue between Christian and non-Christian faculty on deep and relevant issues pertaining to faith and science.
Comments from attendees included the following:
- I loved the discussion at my table. This was partly because of the diversity of the group and the various perspectives on faith that were shared. I loved the non-judgmental approach of the people at my table. I’m hoping it was the same at each table.
- I enjoyed the speaker's comments and his attempt to integrate science with his faith.
- We appreciated the chance to talk about important issues with thoughtful, intelligent people from the campus who we had not met yet. The speaker was a wonderful choice. The moderators were a great idea and the questions they were provided were excellent. The food was fabulous too.
- I enjoyed the opportunity to learn, share and discuss this subject. It was a great venue filled with bright and personable individuals.
- I really enjoyed the dinner conversation and would be happy to attend again. The event was well organized. The topic was what attracted me to it. The discussion (at our table) was lively. I liked the pace. It was somewhat slow, not too slow as to drag…..but after a full day at work, it is difficult to keep up a high paced discussion. The food was excellent.
- My wife and I enjoyed the evening!
- I have enjoyed the Round Table dinner event very much. The part I like most for the event is the conversation engagement with people of wisdom, that propels me for new discovery and learning, particularly under such relaxing and entertaining atmosphere.
If you would like to receive updates on this event as the plan unfolds, please E-Mail Randy.Lee@facultybridges.org and ask to be added to the prayer update list.